Saturday, September 11, 2010

Introduction

       I am a studio art major with a painting emphasis at UW Stout. I have been interested in art for as long as I can remember but it wasn't until high school that I decided art was what I wanted to do with my life. I hope to do commission work and freelance when I graduate but I haven't truly decided. I've done a bit of commissioned work for some friends and family on the side over the past few years and I really enjoy it. My paintings don't really stick to a specific style. I have a range from realistic landscape, imaginary landscape and portraiture, abstract, to whatever else I'm inspired to paint. I've painted on canvas, metal, painted wood, rusted saws, canvas paper, and drawing paper but my favorite has been wood panel. Some of my favorite paintings have been ones I've had complete freedom with. I maybe have a top 10 list of favorite paintings. One is a painting of jungle I painted as a birthday present for a friend last year. One is a painting my mother asked for when I was in high school. It is a bunch of overlapping geometric shapes in shades of gray with complimentary red swirls to add excitement. I really enjoy painting dancers. I find the long flowing lines of their bodies and their movements relaxing to mimic with a paintbrush. One painting that has inspired my work is John Martin’s Pandemonium. I saw this painting when it was in the MIA for the Louvre exhibit. I couldn’t tear myself away from it, and if I did I always went back. I don’t look at other artists enough but I’m trying to start. I’ve been told numerous times that I should be aware of other artists and what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment